Is Hideo Kojima Working with Junji Ito on a New Horror Game?

Are we finally getting the true successor to PT that we were denied all those years ago? Well…

The burn of Silent Hills’ cancellation still stings four years later. The return of the classic horror franchise was to be helmed by Hideo Kojima, creator of Metal Gear, together with Guillermo del Toro, award-winning horror film director, and Junji Ito, legendary horror manga artist. Sadly, such a perfect union was too good to be true, and after the terrifying playable teaser PT, the game was cancelled and Kojima left his publisher Konami behind.

And while Kojima has since definitely landed on his feet, forming his own studio at Kojima Productions and delivering Death Stranding to high acclaim, rumors still persist that the horror dream team would get back together to work on a horror game. From subtle comments by Kojima, to fans piecing together vague hints in tweets and images, the hope that we’d get a dedicated Kojima horror game was too good to let go.

Although Death Stranding gave us this thing so maybe that was a horror game.

These rumors reached a possible climax last week when news broke that Kojima and Junji Ito were again working together on a new horror game. In an interview at Comic-Con@Home 2020, Ito commented on the matter through a translator:

“I do know director Kojima and we have been in conversation that he may have a horror-based game that he may be doing, and so he has invited me to work on that, but there are no details on it yet,”

So that’s it, right? We won? I mean sure that was the most noncommittal answer possible and there were like 13 “maybe”s in there, but it’s basically confirmed at this point and we just need to know where we can pre-order now?

Well, not exactly. Despite numerous gaming news publications picking this story up and hyping up fans into a frenzy again, the champagne may have been popped too early.

Pictured: Kojima fans exactly five minutes before de-confirmation.

Ito has since tweeted an explanation of his answer and an apology. While the original tweet was in Japanese, user @eigogamejikkyo has thankfully provided a better translation than Google:

“In a past interview, I said casually that I received an offer from Mr. Kojima, but in reality, it was a remark made at a party where he said, “If there is an opportunity, I may ask for your help”. I apologize to Mr. Kojima and all of the fans to whom I may have given false hope.

Or more succinctly: “Stop twisting my words you dumb nerds.”

So, we’re back to square one. This is in fact, hard confirmation that no, Kojima and Ito are not working on a horror game right now.

But while this news turned out to be nothing substantial, the dream isn’t entirely dead. At the very least, Kojima and Ito know we want to see them work on a horror game together. And this is further proof that Kojima is still thinking about it, since he approached Ito about the idea. Even if the offer of partnership was only for the possibility of a future game, we may still see this duo team up for a horror game again one day. But not today.

In my restless dreams, I see that game. Silent Hills. Or you know, whatever they end up calling it.

The Last of Us Part II Review Part II (All Spoilers)

No more messing around, we’re getting down and dirty with our unfiltered thoughts on The Last of Us Part II. We’re gonna tear this thing apart, it’s gonna be absolutely shredded when we’re done with it. Let’s spoil this bad boy.

Nintendo Announces New Bakugan Switch Game for Some Reason

The masters of disappointing overexcited fans are back with a baffling surprise!

After a drought of new game announcements and information, Nintendo has finally broken their silence. Today, July 2, 2020, a new game for the Nintendo Switch developed by WayForward, the makers of the Shantae series, was announced via a Nintendo Treehouse Livestream!

Introducing… Bakugan: Champions Vestroia. Oh.

Striking while the iron is frozen solid.

As you no doubt already know, Bakugan is a strategy (?) game where players use small spherical toys (the Bakugan themselves) that pop open to transform into tiny characters. I think you use them to battle each other and cards are possibly involved. Maybe there’s points? No one knows. Like Mousetrap or Operation, no child has ever actually played the full game, instead opting to play with the toy once, get bored, and put it away forever.

The Bakugan toys spawned an anime series that no one watched in 2007 and a few video games no one played from 2009 to 2011. The anime series has since been rebooted several times over the years, so evidently someone has to be watching these things.

Personally I can’t wait for the inevitable Smash Bros x Bakugan Mii Costume

The trailer showcases players building their team of Bakugan, (Bakugans? Bakugen?) battling online or solo, and that’s all Bakugan is so that’s it. Why this game didn’t receive a full 40-minute-long deep dive Nintendo Direct is anyone’s guess.

With this announcement, the Nintendo holiday lineup is on a roll (like Bakugan!) and we can’t wait to see more games like this soon. Maybe a Beyblade game by Next Level Games, or KerPlunk by MercurySteam.

Players can pop their balls in Bakugan: Champions Vestroia on November 3, 2020, exclusively on the Nintendo Switch!

Is a New Prince of Persia Game Coming in 2020?

Will the Prince of Persia finally parkour his way back onto next gen consoles?

The internet has been abuzz with talk about the awaited return of Ubisoft’s Prince of Persia series after a trailer for a long-cancelled game was discovered on YouTube. Titled Prince of Persia Redemption, the video from 2012 (?!) had somehow gone undiscovered until a ResetEra user posted it to the popular games forum. The gameplay shows a pre-rendered animation of the Prince wall running, knife fighting, and of course, wielding the power of time to make his way through a crumbling city.

There’s no way to know how the full game would have turned out, but the video itself is pretty cool and the series has sorely been missing for the past couple generations. Check it out here:

While this video alone isn’t enough to be hard evidence that Ubisoft is gearing up for a full fledged new Prince of Persia title, it does come at a curious time. The video was discovered around the same time that a “Prince of Persia 6” domain name was registered.

It’s true that publishers often register domains or trademarks without purpose and merely to cover themselves legally if anything comes up in the future. However, with both these pieces of news about a series which was thought to be dead bringing it back into the public eye, could that mean Ubisoft has something in the works?

What’s even more suspicious is the age of the video. Dating back to 2012, it’s unlikely it was simply left undiscovered for 8 years. What is more likely however, is that it was left private on YouTube all these years and was only recently made public. But for what purpose? Has it simply been long enough now that revealing a cancelled game is of no consequence?

popfs_ss_kick_163853
We haven’t seen a mainline game in the series since 2010’s Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.

Or could it be that the Prince of Persia Redemption footage was made publicly available now to gauge interest for the series, or perhaps even to stir up enthusiasm again ahead of a future release. Coupled with the domain name and the ever present rumours that a Prince of Persia is in development at some level, these recent developments finally point towards an upcoming reveal.

While Ubisoft hasn’t commented on anything as of yet, this summer is shaping up to be the time for big game announcements. Could we finally see the Prince retake his throne? This is, after all, the series that brought us the hit feature film staring Hollywood heartthrob Jake Gyllenhaal.

119093
Thank you Ubisoft Film and Television division.

Dodo Airlines to lay off fifty percent of staff amid pandemic-related flight cancellations

Dodo Airlines will temporarily lay off 50% of employees starting this week as the airline struggles with fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic. The island-based airlines told Nook News that the reorganization will primarily affect front line workers.

For weeks, Dodo Airline locations across multiple island villages have seen empty airports full of vacant seats, with at most one villager per island opting to use the company’s services.

“To say goodbye to such a large proportion of our employees is a painful decision but one we are required to take,” said pilot and sole remaining employee Wilbur in a press release sent to villagers’ mailboxes.

animal-crossing-dodo-airlines-airport.jpegDodo Airlines’ parent company, Nintendo, is expected to to patch Orville, the Senior Operations and Administrative Manager, out of Animal Crossing: New Horizons in a future update. Wilbur will temporarily assume responsibility for administrative work as well as piloting all aircrafts.

“I think I get the gist of it,” Wilbur told Nook News. “I ask where they want to go, I tell them if they have a Nook Miles ticket on file, then I frantically slam on the computer keyboard, right?”

Wilbur also added he’s optimistic that this period will expose some redundancies in the Dodo Airline processes. “I noticed Orville always asks our customers to connect to the internet *after* they arrive. Why don’t we just assume they already want to connect *before* they arrive? Seems like a waste of time for everyone…”

We were able to speak with a former employee who wished to remain anonymous. The unnamed individual told us that they’re unconvinced the pandemic was the only cause for the layoff. “I think Wilbur just wanted me gone and this was a convenient excuse.”

dodo-airlines-animal-crossing

Follow @FanButtonNews for more gaming goofs news.

Top 5 Crazy Moments in Control: The Foundation DLC

The next chapter of Control is out now with the DLC, The Foundation. To celebrate, we’re counting down the top 5 craziest moments you’ll find exploring the lowest area of The Oldest House. Consider this your spoiler warning! Continue reading “Top 5 Crazy Moments in Control: The Foundation DLC”

Here’s How to Get Mewtwo in Pokemon Masters

The Legendary Sync Pair Giovanni & Mewtwo strike back in the hit mobile game Pokemon Masters for a limited time!

One of the most powerful Sync Pairs returns this week with Giovanni & Mewtwo in the Legendary Event: Lurking Shadow. This isn’t the first time they’ve shown up, but if you missed your chance to nab the pair last time or are new to the game, now’s your chance to add the infamous psychic Pokemon to your team.

Adding Giovanni & Mewtwo to your team

Unlike most Sync Pairs, Giovanni & Mewtwo aren’t available in the Sync Pair Scout and  can only be found by playing the Lurking Shadow Event. Lurking Shadow is available under the Events tab in Explore. By completing both single-player and co-op Lurking Shadow boss areas, you’ll gain Custom Vouchers for the Giovanni & Mewtwo Sync Pair. You’ll need 800 Custom Vouchers to get them, but once you reach that number, they’re totally free. No battle required!

However, getting 800 Custom Vouchers will require some farming. Strong dark and psychic type Sync Pairs are a necessity. While single-player areas are easier and faster, co-op areas will gain significantly more rewards including Custom Buff Blends and Training Machines (more on this later). We recommend sticking to whatever highest level co-op area you can handle for farming.

8229-Mega-Houndoom
Houndoom’s Sync Move will evolve it into Mega Houndoom, a crucial addition to your team!

You’ll mostly require strong dark type Sync Pair Pokemon to help you complete these areas (and you’ll want to aim to complete all of them for their First Time Bonuses) as well as some psychic and electric types.

The two best suitable dark type Sync Pairs for the job are Karen & Houndoom and Grimsley & Liepard, both available now in the Spotlight Scout. Secondary to them, Nanu & Persian or Cheren & Stoutland can also be helpful. For psychic types, if you managed to get Professor Oak & Mew recently, now’s their time to shine. If not, Sync Pairs Caitlin & Reuniclus or Calem & Mewstic will also be a big help. For electric types, Sygna Suit Elesa & Rotom are also available in the Spotlight Scout, but the always reliable Hau & Raichu work as well.

Upgrading Giovanni & Mewtwo

Once you’ve finally obtained the Sync Pair, the grind isn’t over. The items required for teaching Giovanni & Mewtwo new moves and skills as well as unlocking their level cap are only available for a limited time during Lurking Shadow.

You’ll need hundreds of Custom Buff Blends and Training Machines to get these to their max before the time limit is up, and as mentioned the best way to go about this is grinding those co-op areas over and over. Having powerful dark type Sync Pairs is crucial to higher level areas, so make sure you focus on getting your team as strong as possible to make the grind faster. You’ll also get a x3 bonus for the first match of each co-op area you play everyday so make sure to come back daily.

pokemon-masters-mewtwo-giovanni-screen
Giovanni & Mewtwo’s Shadow Ball move is a great ghost type attack that’ll come in handy for later single-player areas.

As with every Legendary Event, a new series of Missions has been added to help the item grind. Completing these missions requires using the Giovanni & Mewtwo Sync Pair, as well as repeatedly completing areas and will reward you with both custom items as well as Gems. You’ll likely complete many of these along the way during your grind, but it doesn’t hurt to take a look and make sure you’re hitting those requirements.

With that done and your Giovanni & Mewtwo Sync Pair fully kitted out, there’s one last grind left. In the Shop tab Exchange Items, you can exchange thousands of Custom Vouchers and Super Custom Vouchers to further level up Giovanni & Mewtwo’s Sync Move, as well as obtain Custom Power-Ups to increase their stats and number of stars. Excess Vouchers and Training Machines can be exchanged for Elite Four Notes, generic Buff Blends, Level-Up Manuals, and Custom Buff Blends if you need more.

When does the Legendary Event Lurking Shadow end?

The Lurking Shadow event ends on March 16, 2020 at 12:59 a.m., so make sure you obtain and finish upgrading your Giovanni & Mewtwo Sync Pair before then! This now marks the second time the Legendary Sync Pair has made an appearance and in all likelihood they may return again in the future, perhaps with another reward adjustment.

Nevertheless, we have no idea if and when they’ll be back, so use this chance now to capture and upgrade the powerful Sync Pair before they’re gone again!

What Video Games Do BTS Play?

The members of BTS aren’t just lovers of music: time and time again they’ve brought up in interviews the other pop culture genres that they spend their time with, such as anime and video games. But what specific games are BTS obsessed with? These are the the favorite video games of BTS. Continue reading “What Video Games Do BTS Play?”